#13: Guardian on the Threshold (34:07)

Episode 13: The Guardian on the Threshold

Sometimes our quest for light takes us to some pretty dark and austere places. The Guardian on the Threshold, sometimes called the dweller, the watcher, or the lurker on the threshold, is the personification of your fears that appears as a gestalt, often during times of spiritual trials.

It was Lord Edward Bulwer Lytton who first put the dweller on the threshold into the literary world. Later authors such as Rudolf Steiner and C.G. Jung borrowed from Lytton's imagery to illustrate the concept of the shadow self, those undesired aspects of our past that we don't wish to acknowledge.

The Guardian stands as the accuser of our faults. Ultimately, he represents an acute and painfully uncomfortable reminder of our own mortality. Perhaps his true motives are to test our endurance and prepare us for the difficult road ahead. How strong is your determination? Can you endure the night while you wait for the dawn?

"Thou hast entered the immeasurable region. I am the Dweller of the Threshold. What wouldst thou with me? Silent? Dost thou fear me? Am I not thy beloved? Is it not for me that thou hast rendered up the delights of thy race? Wouldst thou be wise? Mine is the wisdom of the countless ages. Kiss me, my mortal lover."

- The Dweller speaks in Lytton's Zanoni

"One of the functions of the Inner Self is to prevent us from accessing higher levels if we do not possess the strength to endure them... This function of the Inner Self is sometimes called the 'Guardian on the Threshold'."

- Jean Dubuis from Philosophers of Nature.

Some useful links:

Click to listen to this episode:

Download | Duration: 00:34:07

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• November 8, 2009 Chasing Hermes wrote:
    Well it looks like we published this episode a little late for Halloween, but all good things come to those who wait. We went to somewhat darker places than usual in this episode. We hope you will enjoy it.
    1. November 10, 2009 Aprentice Ears wrote:
      The one page description of the Dweller apparition to Clarence Glyndon makes the worst terror movies look like an episode of the Backyardigans and is but a pale description of the real larva.

No, it's not darker than the necessary and I think you folks did it again, you went direct to the point saying what's is necessary without trying to make things appear worse, darker or more complicate than they already may be.

And I keep listening with greater attention and respect.
  • November 9, 2009 Frater de LVX wrote:
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!WOW!WOW!WOW!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!!!!
    WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW!WOW
    THANKYOU!THANKYOU!THANKYOU!
  • November 9, 2009 Frater de LVX wrote:
    This was a really great shew! and right
    on time as well! If you knew what I've been looking at this past week, and the entry I made in my journal only minutes before I checked my mail...well
    one might even say this was syncronicity. Earlier today I went to see if you guys had done anything recently, and also to link with the occult of personality site, after that I had to feed my Fish (nephesh) some Football, and then did some journaling, and then there you were in my Email, so I even
    listened to you folks before my evening work, I glad I did. Your doing a Great job with this, the information is communicated in an almost story like manner, reminds me of my old Rabbi teaching me about life just prior to the Christ incarnation, or maybe I made that memories up? hard to tell the difference any....well harder then it use to be. take care Brothers
  • November 9, 2009 girasol wrote:
    Timely and awesome, as usual. I'll make a donation if you guys up the podcasts to weekly. I'm just finding my way into this material from outside the tradition, so it's all been very useful and led me to some excellent reading material and meditations...

I'd be curious for a podcast on almost the opposite - the distraction of blissful, wonderful things that can happen, and how to be prepared to not get sidelined by that.
    1. November 10, 2009 Chasing Hermes wrote:
      Hi girasol, you raise a really good point in that our relationship to our "light" personality can be every bit as complicated as that to our "shadow" personality. I'd love to go into this in a later episode. I'm glad you brought it up.

Thanks for listening!!

/Jason

• November 14, 2009 Tony Mack wrote:
    Salutations Sean and Jason,
    I felt I should take a moment and share my experience of the show with you gentlman.
    I'm a goldmith living in Pennsylvania, male, about to turn 23.. hmm. (if all truths are but half truths, who knows what fraction of truth there is in that description of myself) Really, I'm a amalgamation of disparate mental, spiritual, and material elements in disequilibrium; undergoing transformation. As difficult as this can be at times, I know I'm fortunate that the process was initiated early in the course of my life. and also that I live in an age where the knowledge and tools are readily available for those with the wisdom to seek them out, and the will and imaginative capacity to utilize them.

I just recently discovered this podcast through the Itunes store (search: "occult") three days ago. In virtue of the fact that I'm self employed, I've already had the pleasure of journeying through all the episodes to date. I suppose it goes without saying at this point, I think the show is Excellent ..nay. It is great, great, Great oh initiates! A wonderful job is done taking on various elements of Hermeticism/Western Mysteries and distilling them into these 40 minute elixirs of gnosis. Of all the various podcasts on the subject of consciousness I've come across, few (only 2) proved themselves the subtle amidst the gross; this of course being one of them. Thank you for putting fourth your time and creative energy into these shows, and thus providing a catalyst, furthering my own process of initiation.

Many blessings,
    Tony
  • November 18, 2009 Courtney wrote:
    I think this has been my favorite episode. I am going to try and remember these lessons every morning before I start my day and remember the trials (fears)of my day and how I handle them are only lessons on my path to god, perfection, the all. At this stage of my life, my time is limited but in the future I hope to pursue these subjects on a deeper level.

I am glad you both work together because one of you alone would not be as effective in conveying these messages. Thank you gentlemen for your skill in relaying a complex message in a palatable way for the less experienced. Your work is very appreciated.
  • November 23, 2009 Frater Grandis wrote:
    In a youtube video on H. Spencer Lewis and his experience traveling to france and meeting Rosicrucians they mention him being initiated and asked if he was ready to face the Terror of the threshold.

My website link leads to the video, its at 1:40
  • April 25, 2010 Brian wrote:
    I've just recently seen my gestalt for the first time. I can say that I was quite daunted by it's presence above me while I slept. When I awoke, monentarily, I discovered that I was in sleep paralysis. I was able to break my right arm free, rolled my body to the left, grabed an extra pillow and threw it up at it, I guess in a sense of defiance. One of it's legs moved as I struck just to the left of it and unfortunately I actually heard it's leg move, that was abit disturbing. When I awoke in the morning I immediately remembered about the "Lurker on the Threshold" and begain my Internet search for some realative advice and came across ChasingHermes. I really dont know a soul whom thinks the way I do, so I'am looking forward to sharing my experiences and listening to others here on ChasingHermes, Sean and Jason seem to be two guys I can relate to, thanks for the website guys, this ascension business can be abit tricky when your all by yourself.

Thanks,

Brian
  • September 1, 2010 Zachary Y. Cooper wrote:
    It is a good feeling to learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing.
  • May 4, 2011 Brandilyn wrote:
    I feel so much happier now I unedrtsand all this. Thanks!